DAVAO CITY—The Bangsamoro Freedom Fighter on Tuesday said it won’t declare a ceasefire all throughout the duration of Yuletide season.
“It’s not in our vocabulary to declare a ceasefire. Though we want peace, we won’t let our guards down because we are the victims of war. The government itself don’t want to have peace,” Abu Misry Mama, spokesman of the outlawed Bangsamoro Freedom Fighter (BIFF), said in a phone interview.
Earlier this month, the Armed Forces of the Philippines and the Philippine National Police have declared a unilateral ceasefire with New People’s Army—the Communist Party of the Philippines’ armed wing—to pave way for the observance of the yuletide holidays.
AFP and PNP’s ceasefire will commence on the midnight of December 18, 2014 and runs until January 19, 2015, respectively.
AFP Chief of staff General Gregorio Pio Catapang and PNP chief Leonardo Espina reportedly said that operations will continue against the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters, and other terrorist group such as the Abu Sayyaf.
“Our offensive operations will remain active against the government troops as what we had done in the past yuletide holidays,” said Mama.
Meanwhile, the BIFF spokesman also welcomed Davao Mayor Duterte’s invitation to meet BIFF leaders for a dialogue to discuss issues related to security, peace and order in Mindanao.
“His [Duterte] intentions are good and we welcome him for a dialogue but if he will negotiate that we will declare a ceasefire, it will never happen,” stressed Mama. (davaotoday.com)