DAVAO CITY, Philippines — The city government of Davao is set to release another tranche of assistance worth PhP7.8 million to more areas affected by the long spell after the City Council approved last week the release of PhP3.4 million worth of financial assistance.
Alfredo Baloran, the chief of the Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (DRRMO) told reporters in an interview on Tuesday, April 30 that the second tranche of financial assistance would be given to the provinces of North Cotabato, Iloilo and Nueva Vizcaya.
The Philippine Red Cross will again facilitate the release of said assistance to avoid any violations during the election period, Baloran added.
“We do not give the money to the Local Government Unit because there is an election ban. We course it through the Red Cross,” he said.
Three provinces, 20 municipalities, and one city will directly benefit from the PhP7.8 million worth of financial assistance, Baloran added.
Each of the provinces will receive PhP1 million while the municipalities will be given PhP300,000 each and the city with PhP400,000.
The City Council already approved to donate PhP300,000 each for the municipalities of Bingawan and Lambunao in Iloilo, the municipality of Murcia in Negros, and the cities of Talisay and Carcar in Cebu.
The council has already approved to give financial assistance of PhP500,000 to Cebu City and another PhP400,000 for the provincial government of Cebu. The provincial government of Davao del Sur will also receive PhP1 million worth of financial aid.
Based on the DRRMO, the drought has already affected the production of high-value crops, poultry, livestock, as well as the water supply in nine municipalities and one city in North Cotabato province.
El Niño phenomenon hit North Cotabato in April of 2016 that pushed farmers to stage a weeklong protest, asking for assistance as the devastation in their crops created a pang of widespread hunger and poverty.
The protest made headlines after one farmer and a bystander died during the dispersal. (davaotoday.com)