Davao City – During his weekly program, Gikan sa Masa Para sa Masa, Sunday, Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte appealed to Davaoenos to obey the rules.
“Ang Davao medyo nilihok na ang ekonomiya. There are a lot of businesses sprouting around. Kung mahimo lang unta sundon ta ang balaod. Unsa may balaod diha, sundon ta na. Unsay procedure diha, sundon ta na. Unsay mando sa balaod diri, kana lang (Davao’s economy grew a little. Let us just follow the rules. Whatever law or procedure is there, let’s follow it. That’s all),” Duterte said.
Duterte cited the positive impact of the speed limit implemented by the city.
“Tan-awa karon wa nay patay. Katong halos kada adlaw sa highway sige mog panligis og tawo. Tungod kay overspeeding dili na madala og break eh (If you look at it now, we don’t have any deaths from road accidents unlike before when there are those who die every day because of the overspeeding of motorists),” he said.
Since executive Order 39 was implemented starting October 29 last year, traffic incidents have lowered from 7,000 last year to 4,000 as of September this year.
Aside from the speed limit, the city is also implementing Ordinance 060-02, Series of 2002 which prohibits “the Manufacture, Sale, Distribution, Possession or Use of Firecrackers or Pyrotechnic Devices and such other similar devices and the exploding of Firecrackers or other similar explosives within the territorial jurisdiction of Davao City.”
Duterte has recently ordered the Philippine National Police (PNP) to establish checkpoints as he expects that there will be those who would pass by the city to sell firecrackers elsewhere.
“Ug modakpan ka gani within the territorial boundaries of Davao, dili ka pwede moingon nga niagi ka lang. Even if you are in transit, pag ma-tsambahan na ngari priso ka gyud. And that is for everybody (If you will be caught within Davao’s territorial boundaries you cannot say that you are just passing by, you will really be imprisoned),” duterte warns violators anew.
Duterte also said that children caught violating the firecracker ban will be detained for their “protection.”
“Kanang mga bata, not because they are caught exploding or in possession of firecrackers, but rather ako na silang i-detain to protect them (Children who are caught using or in possession of firecrackers will be detained for their protection),” said Duterte.
“Mao ni akong style, diha nako ipagawas, pero prisohon ta gyud mo (That’s my style; I will really have you imprisoned),” he said.
Duterte also said that part of the city’s priority programs for next year will focus on social reforms including health and education.
“Unahon nako ang tao, mga social reforms. Unahon nato edukasyon, kaning health services. City health ug kaning STEP (Scholarship on Tertiary Education Program) nato atong padak-on mga scholars. Daghan mag Pilipino nga brayt (I will prioritize the people. We will prioritize education and health services including city health and STEP. We will expand our scholarships because there are a lot of intelligent Filipinos),” he said.
Duterte also admitted that there are a lot of mining applications in the city but maintained that he will not allow it.
“I will never allow it. Mining has degraded the landscape of my country. And they have destroyed the soil. And poisoned the rivers and eventually all marine life,” he said. (davaotoday.com)