TAGUM CITY — Presidential bet Rodrigo Duterte raised doubts on Vice President Jejomar “Jojo” Binay’s willingness to cooperate with the government by allowing access to his bank records, clearing him from corruption allegations.
“Hindi siguro (I don’t think so),” Duterte said on Tuesday, March 15, referring to Binay who has long evaded efforts to uncover his allegedly ill-gotten wealth.
Duterte’s statement came after he and running mate Senator Alan Peter Cayetano recently signed a waiver allowing access to their bank accounts.
Duterte and Cayetano firmly believe that this is one of the measures to ensure that presidential and vice-presidential aspirants are not hiding ill-gotten wealth.
The tandem had already declared that they will waive their right to bank secrecy, and have dared the vice president to face the public and explain the “scandalous wealth” of the family.
It can be recalled that the AMLC has said that Binay received billions of pesos from infrastructure projects through dummies. This happened when he served as the city mayor of Makati. AMCL reported that the money was used to fund Binay’s vice presidential bid in 2010.
Duterte said the corruption issues will perpetually hound the vice-president and his family. This is one of Binay’s corruption baggages, he said. “Now this is a major problem for him.” (davaotoday.com)