02 January 2012
For workers and poor
Growing hunger, poverty are main issues for 2012
For the Filipino workers and people, the worsening hunger and poverty in the country are the main issues for 2012. We vow to hold bigger protests this year to call for various forms of immediate relief from the growing hunger and poverty in the country.
No amount of assurances from the government of Pres. Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III will convince us that 2012 will be a better year for the country’s economy. Local and international experts all warn that the severe global financial and economic crisis will persist and even worsen in the coming years.
The Aquino government is not doing anything to alleviate the hunger and poverty that the Filipino workers and people are experiencing. On the contrary, it has shown that its “straight path” is a shortcut to greater hunger and poverty for the Filipino workers and people.
This year, we will heighten our struggles for the following demands:
(1) Legislate a significant wage hike! We will not be satisfied with Arroyo-level increases that do not help us cope with the rising prices of basic goods and services.
(2) Stop the eviction of farmers from their lands! Implement the Supreme Court decision on Hacienda Luisita now! The widespread hunger and poverty in the countryside should not be allowed to worsen further with landlords’ and big capitalists’ schemes to evict farmers from their lands.
(3) Junk contractual employment! Now, more than ever, people need decent work. One of the first steps in achieving that is to junk contractualization.
(4) Stop violations of workers’ and people’s right to protest! The assumption of jurisdiction power of the Labor secretary should be junked.
(5) Stop demolition of urban poor communities! We will not sit back as the government demolishes our homes in favor of profit-making projects of big capitalists.
(6) Control oil prices and junk Oil Deregulation Law! The oil monopoly should not be allowed to rake in huge profits from our hard-earned incomes.
(7) Stop the plunder of workers’ funds and attacks on social security! We will protect workers’ funds in the SSS and GSIS and other agencies from attacks on social security.
It is against these demands that the Aquino government will be evaluated by the Filipino workers and people.
We also vow to protest the anti-worker and anti-people policies that the Aquino government wishes to implement, such as the MRT-LRT fare hike, further increases in toll fees, and the sellout of the country’s resources and labor to big foreign companies through yet another Charter Change scheme.
Reference: Roger Soluta, KMU secretary-general, 0928-7215313