DAVAO CITY – The 10th Infantry (Agila) Division of the Philippine Army submitted to the Joint Monitoring Committee, 19 formal complaints against the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) and its armed wing, the New People’s Army (NPA).
Captain Rhyan Batchar, chief information officer of 10th ID said in a statement on Sunday that the 19 complaints were filed for gross violations of the Comprehensive Agreement on Respect for Human Rights and International Law (CARHRIHL) that was signed between the government of the Philippines and the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP).
Batchar said the NDFP represents the CPP-NPA in the on-going peace talks.
“Fifteen of these violations were perpetrated against civilians, in violation of Article 4.4 of Part IV of CARHRIHL which states that civilians together with their property shall not be the object of attack. These include the burning of nine civilian vehicles, attack and burning of four civilian companies’ equipment and facilities, the murder of a civilian and the harassment of another civilian,” Batchar pointed out.
He added that four more violations were perpetrated against soldiers and s member of Civilian Armed Forces Geographical Unit (CAFGU).
Of the four, three of the remains of dead soldiers were mutilated by the NPAs in violation of Article 3.4 of Part 4 of the agreement.
Three of the four soldiers and a CAFGU member were also killed by the NPAs while unarmed, in civilian clothes and were off-duty that constitute violations of the provisions of CAHRIHL, particularly Article 4.1, Batchar added.
Included in the complaint are cases of burning of civilian vehicles by the NPAs, including that of the Yellow Bus Line, Husky bus, one passenger van, an elf truck and one dump truck.
The complaint also cited the burning of the heavy equipment of civilian companies, that include three construction firms and the packing plant of Dole-Stanfilco.
“These violations were committed from February 2016 to January 2017,” Batchar said.
Five violations were perpetrated by the NPAs during the period in South Cotabato; four in Sarangani; three in North Cotabato; three in Davao del Sur; two in Davao Oriental; one in Davao Occidental; and one in Compostela Valley, he added.
Batchar specifically enumerated the violations committed by the NPAs, to wit:
- Killing of Bernabe Abanilla of Doroluman, Arakan, North Cotabato last 07 February 2016;
- Killing of Cpl Wenie O Dacuag and Pfc Jestony A Orca, who were off-duty, unarmed and in civilian attire last 10 June 2016;
- Mutilation of the dead bodies of Cpl Jimmy N Bayta, Cpl Gilmar C Mapa and Pfc Rolen Roy Sarmiento last 05 August 2016;
- Killing of CAA Oscar Olo Emba, who was unarmed and in civilian clothes in Kidapawan City last 11 August 2016;
- Killing of Cpl Randy Santa Iglesia, who was off-duty, unarmed and in civilian attire in Lupon, Davao Oriental last 15 September 2016;
- Attack and burning of heavy equipment of Rock Mixer Company which is implementing a government project at Alabel, Sarangani Province last 09 November 2016;
- Burning of a civilian-owned Mitsubishi Elf Truck in Matanao, Davao del Sur last 09 November 2016;
- Burning of a YBL bus in Kiamba, Sarangani Province last 24 November 2016;
- Burning of a YBL bus in Magsaysay, Davao del Sur last 26 November 2016;
- Burning of one civilian-owned dump truck in Malita, Davao Occidental last 02 December 2016;
- Burning of heavy equipment of Quick Mix and Happy Living Quarry in Koronadal, South Cotabato last 06 December 2016;
- Burning of one YBL bus in Tupi, South Cotabato last 13 December 2016;
- Burning of one YBK bus in Sto. Niño, South Cotabato last13 December 2016;
- Burning of heavy equipment of Filmix Concrete Industries Inc. in Digos City, Davao del Sur last 18 December 2016;
- Burning of packing plant of DOLE – Stanfilco in Surallah, South Cotabato last 19 December 2016;
- Burning of one Husky bus in Koronadal City, South Cotabato last 21 December 2016;
- Burning of one YBL bus in Kiamba, Sarangani Province last 05 January 2017;
- Harassment of a truck driver of Santos Land Development Corporation in Makilala, Cotabato last 20 January 2017; and
19.) Burning of a passenger van in Kiamba, Sarangani Province last 30 January 2017.
“Copies of the formal complaints were already forwarded to the Secretariat of the Joint Monitoring Committee (JMC) of CARHRIHL; Secretary Silvestre H Bello, Chairman of GPH-Negotiating Panel; and Fidel V. Agcaoili, Chairman of the NDFP panel,” Batchar said.
He added that the 10th ID is hoping that the violations of the NPAs to the provisions of CARHRIHL will be thoroughly discussed by the members of the government and NDFP peace panels.
“Appropriate actions must be taken to stop the wanton violations of human rights and international humanitarian law committed by the CPP-NPA against the Filipino people,” he said.
The 10th ID also urged the other government agencies to assist the victims of the alleged violence committed by the CPP-NPA against the people so that appropriate complaints can be filed not only at the JMC level but also in the proper courts.
“We call on the CPP-NPA to end the senseless violence against civilians and their properties to show your sincerity in the on-going peace talks,” Batchar said. (Davaotoday.com)