1. It threatens environmental/water sustainability.
S Loss of biological diversity (flora and fauna);
S Re-charge zones and aquifers will be affected that will compromise the sustainability of supply of quality water for the people of Davao; and
S Based on scientific studies, hydropower dams/impoundments are not carbon neutral. Dams/impoundments generate rotten organic matter in impoundments that produces carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide, greenhouse gases that are causing global warming and climate change.
2. It has a questionable Environmental Compliance Certificate (ECC) granted by the Environment Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (EMB-DENR) Region 11.
S ECC was granted by the EMB-DENR 11 on the grounds mainly that Pres. Arroyo paid a visit to HedCor in Sibulan;
S There is no comprehensive Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA); and
S There were no genuine consultations among the people of affected communities.
3. It is BANNED under the Davao City Watershed Code or the Watershed Protection, Conservation and Management Ordinance.
S Under the Rule IV, Section 11 of the Watershed Code or Prohibited Acts in the Watershed Areas and Environmentally-Critical Areas (ECAs), projects like HedCor-Aboitiz in Tamugan are not allowed; and
S The Watershed Code must be upheld and implemented to ensure that the Tamugan-Panigan Rivers, which are classified as good sources for potable water, will be protected, conserved and sustainably managed by the people.
4. It is part of the Arroyo regime’s Philippine Energy Plan (PEP) that allows privatization and commercialization of energy resources and is designed to provide the increasing energy requirements of expanding corporate mining and plantations.
S As an Arroyo crony, Aboitiz’ HedCor hydropower projects are part of PEP which makes the Tamugan project a done deal.
5. It undermines the people’s fundamental right to water.
S Diversion of natural flow of the river through pipelines will result to the drying up of the natural river ecosystem, which will also affect the farm-based livelihoods of rural folks; and
S Corporate control, commercialization and privatization will result to inequities and further deprive the people, especially the poor, of their basic right to water.
6. It is a scheme for corporate control and privatization of water resources.
S For the corporate elites like HedCor-Aboitiz, water is a blue gold, which is a source of mega-profits at the expense of environmental sustainability and people’s right to water;
S Water, a vital resource and ecosystem service, has become a commodity to be sold to the highest bidder; and
S It is plainly corporate GREED.
Revoke the ECC of HedCor-Tamugan, Inc., Now!
Uphold and implement the Davao City Watershed Code!
Save Tamugan-Panigan Rivers from corporate plunder!
No to corporate control and privatization of water!
Sisters Association in Mindanao(Samin)
United Church of Christ in the Philippines – Southeastern Mindanao Jurisdiction (UCCP-Semjur)
Iglesia Filipiniana Independiente (IFI)
Assumption College of Davao (ACD)
Farmers Association of Davao City-Kilusang Magbubukid ng Pilipinas (FADC-KMP)
Rural Missionaries of the Philippines (RMP-SMR)
Kabiba Children’s Alliance
IMPORTANT NOTICE: INBOX is an archive of press releases, statements, announcements, letters to the editors, and manifestos sent to Davao Today for publication. Please email your materials to email@example.com. Davao Today is not responsible for the content of these